River Thames Scheme
Find out how the River Thames Scheme is reducing flood risk for communities from Datchet to Teddington
Your local council, the Environment Agency and other partners are working together to reduce flood risk, secure the local economy and enhance the River Thames through a proposed programme of projects and investment known as the River Thames Scheme.
The scheme will reduce flood risk to all communities between Datchet and Teddington. This includes: Datchet, Wraysbury, Egham, Staines, Chertsey, Shepperton, Weybridge, Sunbury, Molesey, Thames Ditton, Kingston and Teddington.
The scheme consists of:
- Major engineering work to construct a new flood channel between 30 to 60 metres wide and 17 kilometres long, built in three sections: Datchet to Hythe End, Egham Hythe to Chertsey and Shepperton.
- Improving the flow capacity of three existing weirs on the River Thames: Sunbury, Molesey and Teddington.
- Installing property level products for up to 1,200 homes to make them more resistant to flooding.
- Working with communities to raise flood awareness and support them in flood preparedness, response and recovery.
- Creating over 40 hectares of wildlife habitat.
The Environment Agency are holding a number of local public events to discuss the River Thames Scheme with local residents and businesses. They want to hear your views and include your local knowledge in the development of the scheme.
Come along to one of the public events, there is no need to book; you can drop in any time. They will be at the following locations in August and September.
Date at 4-8pm Venue
Tuesday 25 August Wraysbury Village Hall, TW19 5NA
Thursday 27 August St. Nicholas Parish Hall, Shepperton, TW17 9JY
Tuesday 1 September Chertsey Hall, KT16 9DR
Thursday 3 September Landmark Arts Centre, Teddington, TW11 9NN
Friday 4 September The Hythe Centre, Staines-upon-Thames, TW18 3HD
Tuesday 8 September YMCA, Hawker Centre, Richmond Road, Kingston KT2 5BH
Wednesday 9 September Molesey Boat Club KT8 9AJ
Friday 11 September Rivertside Arts Centre, Sunbury, TW16 5QF
Tuesday 15 September Datchet Village Hall SL3 9HR
Further drop-in events will be held as the scheme develops, but if you're unable to attend any of these dates and need more information on the scheme, then please contact them at:
To read the source article click here